Thursday, June 19, 2014

There Isn't Enough Money in the World...

... to make me take that prescription anymore!
I have been taking Pamelor (Nortriptyline) for about 4 weeks, I have only worked up to 10 milligrams.  I have to say the last 2 weeks have been getting increasingly difficult for me.  Tapering off of Prozac pales in comparison.  I had some dizziness that tapered off after 2 days that my doc reassured me was probably the Prozac.
     So how about a list of all of my side effects for the nitty gritty on how I have been doing?  First I have been increasingly irritible  and down right short tempered over the month.  My patience is nearly non-existent.  I became dizzy again (mild) the last few days with only two instance when I had to sit down.  This may be because of the prozac but I don't think so at this point, it's been too long.   It was worse today as perhaps a withdrawal symptom, I don't know.   I also feel increasingly hyperactive, mostly mentally, althoug it seemed a bit better since stopping the medication last night.  And I am really hungry!  People have been known to gain weight on this medication and I can see why.  I am an angry, walking snickers commercial, since I am a bit hypoglycemic anyway.  My memory seems kind of poor, but that could be in part due to the fact that I felt so hy-look a squirrel... sorry... hyper.  And anxiety?  I woud have to say yes, I've had some.
   I document all this because I think it means something to those of you who have experienced this with a medication, and I don't mind telling it like it is to those who might think treating depression with medication is an easy fix.  You can see why I wanted to cut and run.  I don't think I've had this much trouble with any medication I have taken so far.
     So what now?  I am taking a break from meds for at least a month.  I am honestly not sure what my baseline is.  There has been so much change lately, my doctor even hinted at it the last visit.  The last time I had nothing in  my system was about 3 years ago.  The thing is, I could be better off without medication and I don't know it, there seems to have been some sort of shift in my overall response to meds.  Hopefully I can get some insight from the experience.

     I wanted to mention to, that I have thougth more about the myths surrounding mental illness, there are so many.  I would like to talk about that more and maybe address some of them, perhaps one in each post.  And darn it all, I forgot about this cartoon.  It would have been perfect for the last post!

If Physical Diseases Were Treated Like Mental Illness

Favorite
If Physical Diseases Were Treated Like Mental Illness
Via: Robot-Hugs

No comments:

Post a Comment